We just got back from my 3rd trip to Saryangdo with Seoul Hiking Group. The 1st time got me hooked on Seoul Hiking Group which lead to dozens of other outdoor adventures. In the fall we went back and I realized this place was my favorite hike in all of Korea. Last year’s panoramas and videos inspired this trip and I hope yo enjoy the new video with a daunting perspective of the Jagged Ridge Trail. Photos are up too!
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Hiking, Learn, Live, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged Adventure, climbing in korea, dangerous, heights, Hiking, hiking koreans, island, jagged ridge trail, Mountain, Saryangdo, scary trail, Seoul Hiking Group, SHG, South Korea, Video, vitual hiking
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Hiking, Learn, Live, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, Sunrise hike, Travel
- Tagged climbing, Hiking, morning hike, rice bag sled, Seoul Hiking Group, sledding, sleds, snow, South Korea, sunrise, sunrise hike, taebaeksan, trails, Video, winter
Nothing could have prepared me for the wave of emotion that overcame me when I got in line at PVG, Shanghai’s airport. My gate read SEATTLE, printed neatly in digital letters just above it. After a year and a half of living in Asia I was actually going home. Soon I’d board for a mindless trip across the Pacific and set foot on home turf for the first time in what seemed like ages. A tear came to my eye as I envisioned greeting my parents, friends and of course sweet delicious American burgers, steaks, pizza and everything else that makes us world renowned as the fattest country on Earth.
I don’t know how many hours I was in the air, how many hours I was travelling or how far the distance was. I do know that it was an incredibly disorienting process to board 3 different planes in 3 different time zones and would without a doubt do it again in a heartbeat! I slept half a dozen times, saw 2 sunsets (no sunrises), Mt. Fuji, a seas of clouds and clear blue water. Luckily for you this was my first flight where phones were allowed the entire time (on airplane mode of course). Delta Airlines made the announcement and I promptly took advantage of it to film out of my 3 window seats. Enjoy the video!
Posted in America, Asia, ESL, Learn, Live, Photography, Seoul, Teach, Travel
- Tagged 3 planes, Adventure, airplane, asia to america, crossing the pacific, delta airlines, favorite pictures, first time in america, flying, Korea, landing, long way from home, minneapolis, newark, Photography, seattle, Seoul, shanghai, South Korea, sunset, take off, Teach Abroad, Video, video of flying, videos, window seat
Okay so maybe its not a virtual hike but enjoy this video I put together from the weekend’s excursion with Seoul Hiking Group to Saryangdo Island! After a quick Google I’m pretty sure the trail is called Jagged Ridge Trail. We’ll certainly go back to Saryangdo but until then you’ll just have to enjoy this video!
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Learn, Live, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged Adventure, Hiking, hiking koreans, island, jagged ridge trail, Saryangdo, Seoul Hiking Group, SHG, South Korea, Video
I love photography and I love Boston. Julian Tryba has done an amazing job of combining these two infatuations with a brand new photography technique he is calling layer lapse. Tryba uses modern technology and an artistic eye to tastefully edit the videos; he changes select portions of each scene to be a different time of the day. Enjoy this fascinating video with a 21st century charm!
Traditional time-lapses are constrained by the idea that there is a single universal clock. In the spirit of Einstein’s relativity theory, layer-lapses assign distinct clocks to any number of objects or regions in a scene. Each of these clocks may start at any point in time, and tick at any rate. The result is a visual time dilation effect known as layer-lapse.
Posted in America, Learn, Live, Photography
- Tagged boston, city scapes, evening, julian tryba, layer lapse, morning, night, Photography, photography techniques, stunning, time lapse, tryba, Video