Waking up at 4am is never easy, even when the bed calling your name is Seoul Hiking Group’s big purple bus. We arrived at Hwangmaesan in the middle of the night as half the group snored away. Most of us decided to let the cool mountain air wake us up and strolled through the undergrowth. The sun began peaking out from behind the nearby mountains as our trail took us upward.
Halfway up the mountain we got our first glimpse of azaleas. Hwangmaesan was famous for them and a “pink mountain” was advertised but we were wary since azaleas back in Seoul were already starting to fade. We held out hope but I didn’t think it would be as glamorous as Goeje Island’s pink mountain.
Lucky for us it was stunningly beautiful! The mountain was indeed covered with azaleas, unfortunately many of the pink flowes had already fallen from their bushes. We still enjoyed a stroll among the flowers and a welcome change from the typical hungover mornings that Seoul hands you on a normal weekend.
Posted in Asia, festival, Hiking, Live, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, Sunrise hike, Travel
- Tagged asia, azalea, festival, flowers, hike, hikers, Hiking, Hwangmaesan, Korea, korean mountain, landscape, Mountain, pink flower, royal azalea, royal azalea festival, scenery, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, spring, sunrise, sunrise hike, trail
Yes. We had a pillow fight. Yes. It was absolutely and completely epic. Yes. You should have been there!
A few weeks ago I had this stupid idea for all my friends to come and have a pillow fight at the park. One thing led to another and I created Seoul Flash Mobs. A few weeks ago we had our inaugural event with a onesie subway ride. Last Saturday was the real grand opening with the best pillow fight Korea has ever seen!
Seoul Flash Mob’s volunteers!
One thing led to another and the event went from a hundred or so RSVP’s to over 2,000! I worked with Minwoo from Seoul Gone Wild & Kiara from Explore Korea to help arrange a new location and set up a crazy after party. With weeks of anticipation future pillowfighters questioned what the “patriotic panda” signal would be as the organizers made sure the event would remain safe. No zippers or buttons was an easy sell as a few #sarcastaposts suggested bringing a traditional Korean wooden pillow.
Photo by Mohammed Sami
This video shows the quieter side of things from Korean Videographer Hong Yoon
Check out Symon Powlison & his team of camera men’s epic first person video. You really feel like you’re in the fight with his vidoe!
Posted in Asia, Live, Photography, Seoul, Seoul Flash Mobs, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged adults being silly, flash mob, han river park, improv, Korea, korean flag, panda, patriotic panda, Photography, pillow fight, pillow fight flash mob, pillow fight panda, Seoul, Seoul Flash Mobs, silly fun, South Korea, spring, sunset
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Hiking, Learn, Live, Photography, Rainforest, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged Beautiful, forest, Hiking, Jirisan, Jirisan National Park, long exposure photography, mountains, National Park, nature, Photography, river, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, spring, trees, waterfall
Posted in Asia, Learn, Live, Photography, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged Bike Ride, bloom, cherry blossoms, flowers, gardens, Gyeongju, playing in the flowers, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, spring, spring bloom, Tulips
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Hiking, Learn, Live, Photography, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged 1915m, Cheonwangbong, climbing, Helicopter rescue, helicpoter, highest mountain, Hiking, Jirisan, Korea, mountains, nature, new friends, peak, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, spring, summit, sunrise