Bijindo is an island just south of South Korea. After enjoying a sunrise hike in Hwangmaesan we took the ferry from Tongyeong Ferry Terminal to Bejin Island (do means island in Korean). The 40 minute trip went quickly as sea spray and fresh air came over the sides of the boat while a few seagulls entertained us by trailing behind and snatching chips out of the sky!
Once on Bijindo it was easy to find our pension. The whole island only has a few hundred people living on it in one small village and another smaller beach-side hamlet. From afar it is easy to confuse Bijindo with one of Thailand’s many tropical paradises.
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Beach, Hiking, Learn, Live, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged asia, beach, beach party, Beautiful, bijin island, bijindo, farm, ferry, hamlet, hike, Hiking, Korea, Korean, korean beach, korean farm, landscape, nature, outdoors, Photography, quaint, remote, Seoul Hiking Group, small town, South Korea, tongyeong, viewpoint, village
Even if you only have a half day in Taipei make sure you get to the Longshan Temple! Its a stunning Buddhist temple with regular visitors and local parishoners. Founded in 1738 as a haven for Chinese immigrants from Fujian the settlers built Longshan in honor of Kuan-in the Buddhist goddess of mercy.
How to get to Longshan Temple
MRT Station: Longshan Station
Hours: 6am to 10pm
Longshan (alternately spelled Lungshan) was erected in the Manka district of Taipei. It was dedicated after the Lungshan temple in their home town and aptly named for the root temple.
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Live, Photography, Taiwan, Temples, Travel
- Tagged ancient, Beautiful, best temple of taipei, Buddha, Buddhism, buddhist, Buddhist temple, candles, donation, incense, longshao, longshao temple, lungshan, Photography, prayer, prayer book, Taipei, Taiwan, temple, tradition, Travel, travel blog, travel photography, traveling
After an exhausting day and faux-rescue on Wunaksan it was time to relax at Korea’s Garden of the Morning Calm. This colorful light show reminds many foreigners of Christmas and is fitting to visit in the winter. Multicolored lights adorn trees and bushes throughout the massive garden. Its a popular spot for Korean couples who can be seen frolicking hand-in-hand and posing for romantic photos.
They have everything from love-struck bow & arrows to giant mushrooms, butterflies and other crazy concoctions. The brilliant display mixes a rainbow of colors with our imagination to create a fantasy wonderland. Its best to go after sunset so you can get the full experience of tunnels & lighted pathways. Give yourselves an hour or two to explore but you don’t need all night. It really is the perfect way to relax after spending your day on the nearby mountains.
Posted in Asia, Live, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged Beautiful, bow and arrow, bushes, Christmas, christmas lights, colored lights, colors, date night, Full Moon, garden, garden of the morning calm, gardens, Korea, lights, morning calm, multicolored, mushroom, night, night photography, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, snow, South Korea, trees
This weekend Seoul Hiking Group took our usual night bus to Saryangdo was pleasantly uneventful. Little did I know but my 3rd trip to the island would be just as stunning as the first. A true testamant to the natural beauty Saryangdo possesses. We arrived at Goseong Dino Park at 5am for a quick hike to fossilized dinosaur footprints and a gorgeous sunrise among the islands.
As the mist cleared we jumped back on the bus to the ferry terminal. Arriving early we enjoyed a breakfast of muffins and fruit while watching the calm morning water as locals got to work on their boats.
Waiting for the ferry
Posted in Asia, Backpacking, Drinking, Eating, Hiking, Live, Photography, Seoul Hiking Group, South Korea, Travel
- Tagged acro, Acroyoga, Beautiful, climbing, cloudy sea, earthporn, fall, flag, Hiking, hiking in korea, island, island hiking, Korea, korean hiking, korean island, landscape, misty mountains, Mountain, nature, ocean, Photography, Saryangdo, sea, Seoul Hiking Group, SHG, South Korea, thigh stand, tongyeong, tour, yoga
After playing with tigers in Phuket Brian and I headed straight to Koh Phi Phi. This island paradise became famous after Leonardo DiCaprio starred in The Beach; a movie about pot farmers and hippie tourists set on Koh Phi Phi. Although the ferry from Phuket takes less than 2 hours plan a half day for your journey since they tend to leave late and you’ve gotta find your accommodation once you arrive.
Welcome to Phi Phi, Krabi, Thailand
Brian and I opted for Marine Hotel, a guesthouse near the main port on the island. Unfortunately we unknowingly walked right past it not realizing how close it was! Phi Phi is a tiny island and everyone is extremely friendly. After wandering like Harry and Lloyd of Dumb & Dumber we were lucky to meet Continue reading
Posted in Asia, Beach, Learn, Live, Photography, Thailand, Travel
- Tagged 4 hour tour, abandoned ship, Beautiful, blue water, boat rental, Boats, Island hopping, island tour, islands, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Pi Pi, krabi, local tour, long boat, massive islands, Maya Bay, Maya Beach, motor boat, nature, ocean, phi phi, phi phi town, Photography, pirate ship, random tour, snorkeling, thailand, thailand photography, tour prices, Tourism, tourists